Please help keep the Geographer Online a FREE resource
What is Urbanisation?
Urbanisation: Is the increase in the proportion of people living in urban environments such as towns and cities
Examine the graphs below and describe the change between urban and rural populations.
Discuss the causes of Urbanisation
- Make a list of the key causes
- Try to place them in a rank order of most important to least important
The development of a Shanty Town
- Define the term 'Shanty Town' and 'Squatter Settlement' .
- Why do they develop?
- Where do they develop?
- Using the interactive exercise below explore and make notes on the stages a shanty town passes through.
Life in Shanty Towns
Case Study: Kibera - Nairobi
- Locate Kibera
- Explain who lives there, where they came from and why they moved.
- What are the problems in Kibera?
- Explain some strategies in place to improve Kibera? Have they been successful?