Lesson 1&2: Development and Quality of Life
Discuss and guess what the wold population currently is. What do we think it will be by the end of the lesson?
What is the meaning of the world development?
Using the top trumps game below begin to think about what makes a country developed
Using Gapminder, play a game guessing where in the world certain countries are on the Development Index
Lesson 3&4: The Human Development Index (HDI)
Using the powerpoint try to guess whether the country is a HIC or LIC.
Discuss why you think this is the case.
Essay: How far do you agree that the HDI is the best way to measure the development of a country?
Lesson 5-7: Why are some places poorer than others
- To understand the challenges facing countries in generating wealth
- To know the factors that might be responsible for the lack of wealth in some countries
Watch the YouTube on why some countries are poor.
Your task is to create a poster outlining all the issues that can contribute to certain areas in the world being poorer than others. The reasons should include:
- Weather and Climate
- Natural Hazards
- Natural resources
- Trade inequality
- Political factors
Posters will be presented to the rest of the class and there will be peer voting for part of your assessment. This will be done using Microsoft forms (ranking).
Lesson 8: Trade and Chocolate
- To explore how international trade affects people in the world
- To be able to explain how international trade can be negative
- To know some of the negative impacts of the chocolate industry
Using the PowerPoint below begin to explore some of the issues
Watch the panorama Video - The Bitter Truth about Chocolate and answer the accompanying questions.
Lesson 9: What is Fair trade?
Lesson 10: Reducing the Development Gap
Print the information section of the following PowerPoint and explain the different methods of reducing the Development Gap
The Trade Game
- To appreciate how trade works
- To understand how hard it is to break out of the poverty cycle
This game will take one whole lesson. Start with explaining the rules and then follow the instructions on the PDF.